WHO MAY TAKE THIS CLASS – MINIMUM AGE
The course is available to persons between the ages of 14 ½ and 21 inclusive.
STUDENTS MUST BE AT LEAST 14 ½ YEARS OF AGE BEFORE GOING TO THE DMV FOR A PERMIT AND BEFORE REGISTERING FOR A CLASS. Students may take Driver Education classes at any site, regardless of the school they attend.
We have classes available at Boise, Borah, Capital, Timberline, and Fairmont. Please look at the Driver Education packet (Link on the left).
All classroom sessions are after school. Driving days and times will be determined the first week of class.
Registration packets may be picked up at the student’s school or printed from this website (Link on the left). The registration form must be completely filled out and signed. Mail the completed application and PAYMENT to Boise School’s Driver Education at Valley View Elementary, 3555 N Milwaukee, Boise, ID 83704.
Before you register, please go to the Confirmation Page (Link on the left). This is where you can check to see which classes still have openings. After you register, you can also verify that you are registered. Please check this page before calling Valley View.
Students will be listed showing first name, first initial of last name, and date of birth provided on the enrollment form. There are only 30 spots per class, and these classes will be filled on a first come first served basis. Early registration is highly recommended.
All students will be charged $220.00 to take Driver Education. The fee must be attached to the enrollment form. This fee can be paid with check, money order, cash, credit card, or debit card. Checks or money orders are to be made out to BOISE PUBLIC SCHOOLS and must indicate the name of the student. Only one check or money order per student, please. All checks must have pre-printed name, address, and telephone number on them. Money orders must have the name, address, and telephone number of the payor on them. Checks returned to the District for non-sufficient funds or closed accounts will result in loss of class slot and/or enrollment. A $30.00 per hour make up fee must be charged for any missed classroom or driving time.
The cost of the Driver Education Permit is $21.50. This fee will be paid directly to the Ada County Driver’s License Department at 400 N Benjamin Lane. Checks for the permit should be made payable to Ada County Sheriff. This fee is non-refundable. They will give the eye test, collect the fee and issue the receipt for the Driver Education permit. Students should bring the receipt to the first day of class.
ITEMS REQUIRED TO OBTAIN A PERMIT
- TO PROVE DATE OF BIRTH, EACH STUDENT MUST PRESENT: AN ORIGINAL CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATE AT THE TIME THE PERMIT IS PURCHASED.
- PHOTO IDENTIFICATION (student activity card, military ID, or passport)
- SCHOOL VERIFICATION OF ATTENDANCE (Obtained from the office at your child’s school. A student applying for a driver education permit must provide written verification to the Ada County License Examiner from his/her school , that he/she is enrolled in school and meets the school’s attendance requirements. Home schooled students will require an affidavit which must be signed by their parents. The DMV will provide the affidavit.
- SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS will be required for the issuance of a driver education permit.
- The student and a legal parent must both go get the permit because both will have to sign for the permit.
- Students are required to take and pass a vision test to receive a permit.
Parents who wish to cancel their child from Driver Education after the assignments have been made, must contact the Driver Education office at Valley View Elementary, phone number 854-6375. Cancellation MUST happen at least five days before the first day of class in order to receive a $170.00 refund. The remaining $50.00 will be retained as an administrative fee. Beyond that, refunds will be made by appeal only.
IF YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS REGARDING OUR DRIVER EDUCATION PROGRAM, PLEASE CALL 854-6375.